Sunday, January 1, 2012

"Awake the Day" by Kim Boekbinder

Happy New Year!

I've been meaning to share this tune for a few weeks now:



My darlin' friend Kim Boekbinder wrote this beautiful song and passed on the basic voice/guitar track to me with a request for a violin line or two. Instead, she got seventeen violin lines. Hee heeeee!

Hearing the longing and sweetness and vulnerability and love in her song and words, I wanted to try to create a full chamber ensemble arrangement to buoy the whole thing. My parts were composed and recorded over the course of a few days in the bowels of a magical building with a mysterious soundproof room that has since come to be called The Goblin Merkin Lab.

When I passed my tracks back to Kim and the engineer, Myles Boisen, I told them my hope was that the strings could be mixed in such a way that it sounded like Kim had an ocean at her back. Gentle, tidal. I think Myles nailed it.

Although "Awake the Day" was recorded and released late last fall, I still feel like it's a great "good morning" song to ring in 2012. This is one of my favorite musical collaborations of recent years. HUGE thanks and everlastin' limerence to Kim for inviting me to take part.

You can read more about the song and its corresponding comic by Juan Santapau over at Kim's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment